Friday 15 May 2009

The Dreaded Curse of Jet Lag

Ohdearohdearohdearohdearohdearohdear...
I have eaten such a lot of crap over the last three days. Yes, three days. It always happens to me when I travel- it is almost Pavlovian I'm sure. I am one of those who kind of eats when asleep, and unfortunately it takes me two or three days to recover from a medium or long haul trip. Now I feel completely polluted and also I am still dog tired as the food I have consumed have made me more sluggish than ever. However, on a much more positive note, I had a nutritionist appointment today. I have had a number of investigations for some medical problems I have and my doctor felt that a nutritional support programme might help. I thought I would document what I need to do in the next month, all seems completely compatible with the No S approach with one exception of a pre-run snack. If anyone wants to understand exactly why I have been advised on any of the following, please email me on niceglassofshiraz@googlemail.com and I would be happy to elaborate. I have a lot of digestive issues caused by diet and stress.
I have been on a number of programmes over the last ten years and today was the first day where I felt that I was offered realistic manageable changes over time and the scientific evidence was discussed in a clear yet non-patronising manner, hurrah!

All the changes will be introduced over time, so this month's programme is all quite general:

1. Coffee and diet coke. I have a seriously bad DC habit...I am to cut one coffee or diet coke every three days until I reach my personal tipping point, around one of each a day.
2. Bread. Bread acts as an opiate for me and I have a very difficult physiological and psychological response to bread and bread products. I am to limit it to twice a week maximum (this will be HARD)
3.Breathing and flexibility to aid digestion. Yoga and swimming (as a change from running). I have, oddly enough, just enrolled on an Iyenga Yoga foundation course and have enrolled for swimming improvers lessons as I want to attempt triathlon so that is a good thing!!
4. Cut out artificial sweeteners (I think Reinhard would agree on that one!) It is keeping my sweet tooth and doing God knows what else...
5. Cortisol issues leading to weight gain around the middle. This will be a programme in itself but includes taking a walk after each meal, cutting refined and simple carbs in the evening, upping the protein and veg, and following a blood sugar balance diet. I am to have a small snack before my run.
6. Cut out the fruit but grate it on my porridge or use it as my pre lunch snack only as it may be causing some of my bloating symptoms.
7. Increase water to 2 litres over the next month and try white tea.
8. Apple cider vinegar- 2 tsp in warm water first thing for a digestif.
9. Large dose probiotics, rhodiola and a good multivit. I can't take tabs so I have capsules.
10. Bed by 11pm (again a hard one for a night owl like me)
I'll let you know how I get on!
SusieB

No comments:

Post a Comment